Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tuning in: 1989.

We listened to cassette tapes of me, and me and Adam, decorating Christmas trees (or "chimistrees") back in 1989 and 1992. In the 1989 tape, I am two years old. When prompted to sing a Christmas carol, I sing "Away in the manger, no cib [sic] for his bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head... how's that?!" and then go on to summarize the verse about how "the cattle are lowing, the poor baby wakes, but little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes" as "nothing to cry about." I also try to convince my parents to hang a very large something (it's not clear what) on the tree and when the problem of size arises, I say brightly, "We can cut it into a little piece!" My parents laughed themselves silly on the tape and in the present, at our kitchen table, remembering what an articulate and relentless little chatterbox I was.

...

I also describe the Christmas tree as "big and hung."

No comments:

Post a Comment