Saturday, July 18, 2009

We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars or ropes of diamonds.

"Did you see all the diamonds those ladies wore?" sighed Jane. "They were simply dazzling. Wouldn't you just love to be rich?"

"We
are rich," said Anne stanchly. "Why, we have sixteen years to our credit, and we're happy as queens, and we've all got imaginations. Look at that sea--all silver and shadow and visions of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars or ropes of diamonds. You wouldn't change into any of those women if you could. Would you want to be that white lace girl and wear a sour look all your life, as if you'd been born turning up your nose at the world..."

"I don't know, exactly," said Jane unconvinced. "I think diamonds would comfort a person a good deal."

"Well, I don't want to be any one but myself, even if I go uncomforted by diamonds all my life," declared Anne.


ANNE OF GREEN GABLES.

No comments:

Post a Comment