Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Keeping up with the three-year-old busy body.

Yesterday, I worked six-and-a-half hours and babysat six-and-a-half hours and had a very small taste of what it might be like to be a working mom… for twelve hours. I hope one inherits a wealth of energy, etc., somewhere along the path to motherhood, because I came home one tired 21-year-old.

We...
- Looked for “Lightning McQueen lookalikes” (that is, snazzy red sports cars).
- Constructed a terrific fort out of pillows, blankets, and cushions.
- Drew sidewalk rainbows out of chalk.
- Read lots of books about trucks and airplanes.
- Walked twice around the subdivision – well, I walked and Aaron sat in his little red wagon and took great pleasure in dropping things out of it so that I had to stop and gather them up.
- Pretended to be asleep so that Aaron could leap out from under the bed and scare me. He did manage to surprise me the last time—by dumping an entire cup of ice-water on me!
- Reenacted, in great detail, that one scene from Monster’s Inc. where the monster comes back to the factory with a child’s sock on his shoulder…
- Turned me off hot dogs forever, as if The Jungle had not already done the job properly. A.B.C. hot dogs are far grosser than hot dogs fresh out of the package. Yuck.
- Found it impossible to be mad at Aaron for his few less than adorable habits. He sits on my lap, and showers me with kisses, and tells me he loves me, and gives great hugs. That cancels out all offenses. Even ones involving food that's already been chewed.
- Watched the first half of The Little Mermaid. Every time Scuttle the seagull made an appearance, Aaron tipped over giggling.
- Allowed Aaron to mend my “injured” knee with a plastic scalpel and scotch tape.
- Ate strawberry popsicles outside on the grass, because that house is near immaculate with a lot of near-white carpeting, and I am taking no chances.

I only managed to convince Aaron to hole up in his room for the night by presenting him with a fragile (invisible) egg. I instructed him to lay on top of it to keep it warm, but added that he had to lie very, very still and be very, very quiet. I don’t expect this to work again, but last night it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment